Forums  ›  My Life  ›  Green Living

I HATE Flour Bugs!!!!!

Quote · 1250 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Those little brown bugs shaped like a seed that are found crawling around in your flour, pasta, rice, or cereal boxes in your pantry?

I HATE THEM!!!!

Grrr.....

Sure, they're not harmful to us exactly.

They don't bite.

They're not poisonous.

They aren't out to get us.

But they ARE out to eat anything flour-related in your pantry!

Flour bugs, also known as Weevils, usually arrive in your house already in the packages you've brought home form the store.

They can lay many eggs in the flour, hatch, and then eat through the packaging and get into your other flour-related items in your pantry,

causing a lot of hassle and using up our precious time and patience trying to eradicate them.

At least I learned there are Green ways to get rid of them and discourage them from spreading or hanging around, including:

• FREEZING your flour for 1 week before storing in your pantry to kill any eggs that might be in the package,
  • Placing your flour into a solid container with a lid to contain any possible infestation, and
  • Placing a dried Bay leaf in each flour container to further discourage the little buggers!

On a side note I have also noticed that they seem to like bright light also, for some weird reason....

You can read a FULL ARTICLE about how to get rid of Weevils a.k.a. Flour Bugs by clicking HERE

Anyways, have you ladies ever had problems with flour bugs in your pantry?

What helped?

I hate them too!  They get into everything!  We did start freezing our flour and then putting things into sealed, twist top containers.  The bay leaves also discourage cockroaches if you think you have any around.  And yeah, they do "surface" and start crawling out in bright light.  I don't know why.  It is super gross though.

I hate them too!!!

I cant stand any bugs in my kitchen!!!

Quote · 1249 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Lol, I just experienced this last week!  I was making some cupcakes and realized that I had run out of flour because I thought I had more in my bigger container (I get my flour from Costco)... and nope, didn't have any!  So I 'borrowed' some from my bf's grandma, and there was a crazy amount of bugs in the flour!  Ugh, I just went to the store and picked up two bags, one for me, and one for her haha.

Yes, freezing helps!  But I've learned from my instructor that with pasta, it is inevitable.  Because they are already in the package, it's just a matter of time before they hatch.  So with pasta (and cereal, rice, etc.), only buy the amount that you think you'll need for a short period of time.

I hate them too!  I never knew about the freezing and bay leaf.  Good to know!

Yes, freezing helps!  But I've learned from my instructor that with pasta, it is inevitable.  Because they are already in the package, it's just a matter of time before they hatch. So with pasta (and cereal, rice, etc.), only buy the amount that you think you'll need for a short period of time.

Oh mi gaw. *gag* Smiley

Your Moms In Hawaii Editor, Founder & Chief Executive Mom ... at your service!

I have cardboard bugs. I recently discovered them in my pantry.  I found the source (an old container that had tubes of the kind of frosting you use to write on cakes) and discarded it, but they have spread to every single box in my pantry.  I just brought home new boxes of cereal from the story the other day, and I checked them before I put them in the pantry, and today discovered bugs in the bottom of the boxes. Further inspection proved that 85% of my spices were infested with these critters too, and I had to throw them all out.

I put a call in to Terminix... I have them come quarterly anyway, but I won't see the T man until next week. I don't know what to do!!  I removed all cardboard from my pantry and everything is in Ziplocks or sealed plastic containers.  I'm wondering if I'm going to have to set off a fogger in the kitchen.

Online aloha from your Moms In Hawaii New Media Mom

EEEEKKK

Like9! i have never heard of that but now i have to go check!! i have TUBES OF FROSTING!! and other boxed items that have just been sitting!!

My dad uses the bay leaf concept! and we use tupperware so flour and havent had a problem.....YET!!

Mamarazzi, these things are tiny, too! Think the size of Kailua Beach sand. That's how small. Barely visible, and the same color as cardboard. UGH!

Online aloha from your Moms In Hawaii New Media Mom
Quote · 1248 days ago · 0 people like this ·

We put EVERYTHING in our fridge.  It seems to help...this is the one thing I miss about the mainland, we did not have these buggy issues there.

Quote · 1248 days ago · 0 people like this ·

I"ve always thrown my flour in the freezer!  I'm like my mom who always has at least 4 bags of flour on hand (since we love to bake and cook with it), so when my mom and dad bought me a chest freezer, OMG!  PERFECT!!!  I've got 4 in there now, and one open one in a ziploc in my house freezer.

Mom Squad Member and Crazy Mom of #7FLIPS
Quote · 1247 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Oh man I HATE those darn things!!!  I've even had my flour in one of those "airtight" containers, and still got the little suckers!!!  ugh.  I keep my flour in a ziploc now... But I never knew about the freezer!  Ah good tip!  I think I need a chest freezer, too..  We have no room in our freezer LOL.   and I may do the bay leaf thing, too.  Particularly b/c of the roaches.  We don't have a problem w/ roaches *knock on wood* but I'd like to keep it that way!  ;)

Forums

Aloha,

• Share to Facebook
    Share to Twitter
    Pin it
    LinkedIn
    Google+
    Email
    Print
  • Report a problem
  • Join Moms in Hawaii
  • Login

Right Panel: Reveal

This panel is positioned on the right with the reveal display mode. The panel markup is after the header, content and footer in the source order.

To close, click off the panel, swipe left or right, hit the Esc key, or use the button below:

Close panel